[CentOS] BUG in httpd 2.2.3-22.el5.centos.2

Fri Aug 7 16:26:11 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Mark Hedges wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2009, Ned Slider wrote:
>> Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
>>> It might or might not be... In order to be sure, you may
>>> check the audit logs at /var/log/audit/audit.log (make
>>> sure the "audit" RPM is installed and the "auditd"
>>> daemon is enabled and running), you might see SELinux
>>> messages in that file when some access is denied.
>> Further to Filipe's advice, if you temporarily switch
>> SELinux into permissive mode and stuff then works again,
>> take that as a pretty good indication that it was indeed
>> SELinux that was preventing it. At that point you know
>> where to look to fix the problem.
>
> No, this is not my problem anyway.
>
> hedges at anubis:~$ sestatus
> SELinux status:                 disabled
>
> With SELinux off, any script run by apache can access
> anything on the filesystem that can be read by the apache
> process user.  Maybe that's not the best way to do it, but
> it confirms that SELinux is not causing DBD::MySQL to break
> under mod_perl in CentOS 5.3.
>
> It looks like it was a buggy release in apr-util
> 1.2.7-7.el5_3.1 or httpd 2.2.3-22.el5.centos.2
>
> Who packages httpd for Centos?  Is there some way to contact
> a person to ask them about this?
>
> I feel like it's pointless to ask why don't distributions
> upgrade within the minor revision number of the stable 2.2
> series anyway.  2.2.3 is certainly not as "stable" as 2.2.11
> and the API is supposed to be the same.  Oh right the "big
> picture."  :-(

Well ... here is what I can tell you:

http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/?sc_cid=3093

They do roll in bug fixes.  I know it can be frustrating (it is for me
to and I build this stuff) ...

WRT the httpd package ... if you look at the RHEL and CentOS httpd SRPMs
you will see that the change in the spec file is cosmetic and only
controls CentOS being displayed instead of Red Hat as required by their
trademark restrictions.