[CentOS] CentOS as a router

Fri Aug 7 16:27:22 UTC 2009
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, James B. Byrne wrote:

> I am setting up a small CentOS-5.3 host to act as a router.  I have
> the device configured and working.  What I am trying to accomplish
> now is configuring the firewall so as to protect both the router and
> the LAN. [....]

In the past, I'd have tried to craft the iptables rules by hand. Now,
older and lazier, I rely on shorewall.

Shorewall generally produces pretty good rules. You can "compile" your
logic to iptables rules without implementing them, so you could use
shorewall to generate a set of rules that essentially do what you
want, look them over, and then revise/implement the ones you like.