[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Sat Aug 8 10:48:09 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 11:54 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> Bob Taylor wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Exactly the *wrong* response. I wonder if responses similar to this
>>> loses potential users or loses existing customers. Personally, it
>>> disgusts me.
>> It is not *wrong* ... any more than your response is *wrong*.
>>
>> Your opinion is for you and my opinion is for me.
>>
>> And the GREAT thing about open source is, there is always another
>> project if you don't like the current one.
>
> Let me add: As a *developer* you are saying the wrong things.
>
>> My point is, the CentOS team has put in an unbelievable amount of time
>> and effort to build this distribution.  We will continue to do so.  If
>> you like it use it. If you don't like it, don't use it.
>
> And my point is: Just *who* are you doing this "unbelievable amount of
> time and effort.." *for*?

Not for you, for people who appreciate it.  I have never been paid a
dime for any work to the CentOS project.

>> If someone has a major problem with the distro, then they should find
>> one that they don't have a major problem with.  I don't want hard
>> feelings or anyone to be upset, but if we are not meeting your
>> expectations then you might be able to find another that does.  I do not
>> think you will ... but trying is certainly better than being upset.
>
> It's your *attitude*, Johnny. I'm attempting to help you with your
> people skills. OK? It is not helpful nor desirable to talk to people in
> such an apparently arrogant manner. If you did so with clients, you most
> certainly wouldn't have any in short order and possibly be looking for
> another job.
>
> Enough said.

Let me see.

First, I give you a free product that people pay thousands of dollars
for.  I do so voluntarily.

Second, I am supposed to also kiss your ass?

What kind of attitude should I have when you come into my organization,
take a free product, tell me that everyone working on the project sucks,
 tell me that they need to work harder and get you the free product
faster, tell me that you need to have a say in how the organization works?

If you want to use the product, do so.

If not, don't.