[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Sun Aug 9 17:04:25 UTC 2009
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>> That is the problem ... therefore, we HAVE to finish the point release
>> and get it out before we can build new updates released after the point
>> release.  This is not new, it has been an issue since the first rebuild
>> more than 5 years ago.
>>
>> People who do not understand the technical issues involved do not see
>> why we can't just snap our fingers and put out the packages ... well, we
>> can't.
>>

> But if it is so problematic, wouldn't it make sense to join forces with
> Scientific Linux at least on the slow parts of the work?

Because joining forces with Scientific Linux is not as easy as
snapping fingers either. Scientific Linux is a joint project done by
Fermi Labs and CERN Labs. It has its own architecture and needs. It
also has government budgets and requirements that have their own
entanglements. CentOS is a controlled anarchy of people who are doing
it for their own needs. Combining the two items would require a lot of
forethought and work. I would expect it would take about a 6 months to
a year to make that happen.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning