[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Sun Aug 9 19:17:32 UTC 2009
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Ian Murray<murrayie at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I did understand it the first time, but thanks again for the further
> clarification. This kinda illustrates my point. Couldn't you have a
> different repo with these updates maintained by other community members,
> under the guidance of the 'core'. Ppl could decide whether to trade-off
> security vs compatibility/reliability. I suppose your counter argument there
> is that there is nothing stopping that happening outside of CentOS project.
>
> Anyway, I am sure you have better things to do than argue the toss with me
> on a Sunday! ;o)

But isn't this the point of RPMForge and the other repositories -- to
allow us to customize our CentOS boxes to our heart's content. As for
starting a new (Fedora-like?) project under the guidance of 'core,' I
don't think you realize how much time and effort something like that
would take. If you've ever trained anyone (I used to have to do that)
you know how much easier it is to it yourself then walk someone else
through it. Do you really want the CentOS developers sifting through
someone else's work, for another side project, in addition to
developing CentOS? How many hours a day do you think they have?

What I love about CentOS Linux is that it compatible with Red Hat.
That's all I want it to be (which, in my opinion, is quite a lot). If
I decide I want to use Firefox 3.5.x instead of 3.0.12 (or example),
I'll either find an add-on repository or I'll download it from
Mozilla. You can't be all things to all people without losing your
focus.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3