[CentOS] Integrate shell scripts into Nautilus ?

Mon Aug 10 17:23:23 UTC 2009
Barry Brimer <lists at brimer.org>

Quoting Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to integrate a handful of shell scripts into my Nautilus file
> browser, for example to be able to resize a selection of images with one
> click via ImageMagick, or convert videos easily. After a bit of
> Googling, I found out that folks seem to do this by placing scripts into
> ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts. Only that doesn't seem to work for me.
> Nothing appears in the browsers contextual menu.
>
> Any pointers for a start ? Anyone here using something similar ?

I have used these before, but most importantly, I read about it from a Ubuntu
writeup/tutorial on something like this I believe for rotating images.  Ubuntu,
most likely rather Debian uses a beta version of the libjpeg software suite.
Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS does not.  The result is that the script "transformed" my
images in place to 0 length files, thus trashing my files.  If you want this to
work correctly, you need the latest beta of the libjpeg software, and most
importantly *TEST* this on a copy of your images first.  I realize that you
could be looking at an entirely different writeup/tutorial, but I wanted to
make sure you were aware of this, and did not lose any data.

Barry