[CentOS] A bit more on the Firefox 3.5.issue

Mon Aug 10 23:35:24 UTC 2009
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

> Ron: My Desktop is dual boot. M$ WinXP Home and CentOS 5.3 (32 bit). I
> rarely use M$ Windows, but yesterday I needed to use it, and I was
> offered an Update for Mozilla Firefox. What was offered was not 3.5.
> It was 3.0.13 as I recall. I updated to 3.0.13.  Like you, I will wait
> until yum update finds Firefox 3.5.  And, on the Windows side, I will
> wait until they offer it to me. Having the "latest and greatest" is
> not always the best idea. My 2 Pesos....   Lanny

I'm running Windows 2000 in VirtualBox -- I use "Movie Magic
Screenwriter," "Visual dBASE," "NetObjects Fusion" and a couple other
specialty programs. I also noticed that the two lines of Firefox
(3.0.x and 3.5.x) were treated as separate products. I had tried
Firefox 3.5 beta and ran the updater (it went to 3.5.1) -- then
realized that I still had the old Firefox, ran the updater and got
3.0.11 (from 3.0.8). I ended up uninstalling the older "line." Wonder
how long Firefox is going to support both "versions?"

As for Firefox 3.5 on CentOS -- it did seem to be faster, but if I
have to chose between speed and reliable, I'll go with reliable.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3