[CentOS] OT: hardware newbie p9115-505

Thu Aug 13 08:04:13 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Sorry for the OT. I've posted it in some IBM related forums but no reply yet.
> We've got an IBM pSeries p9115-505 machine from warehouse.
> I notice that it doesn't have any port for the monitor.
> Where do we plug the monitor?
> >From Google it says something about HMC (Hardware Management Center).
> Any hints is really2 appreciated.

a HMC is a linux based x86 IBM workstation with special software that
acts as the console for any number of p5 servers.  For a single server,
its kind of silly.

if you don't have the HMC, hook up a serial terminal to tty0 (or is it
com1 or ttyA or something) and bring it up from there.  I remember it
took me about half a day to figure it out, there's some silly dance with
that funky litttle pullout LCD display on the front panel too....

once you have AIX up and configured for your network (hint, `smitty` is
the answer to all admin questions), you won't need the console again.

sorry i can't be any more help as I haven't had a p5 in my lab for a
year+ now, great machines, but for whatever reasons (probably friction)
we stuck with Sun.   once youve used LVM on AIX, you'll wonder how you
ever put up with the sad excuse for LVM in Linux.