[CentOS] yum update

Thu Aug 13 13:02:48 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

madunix wrote:
> Can any one clarify this, is auto updating at all production servers
> recommended or not?
> need to know your opinion, how do you manage the update?

I don't, but I watch the centos-announce list to see when important updates are
released.  Our operations dept schedules all changes on a shared calendar so no
one is surprised, although I can't recall a centos update ever causing a
problem.  After doing a minor update on a non-production machine, I might just
'ssh servername yum -y update' to a list of production servers.  For larger sets
or point releases, I would first have done a 'yum install yum-downloadonly' on
each server so I can 'ssh servername yum -y --downloadonly update' which can run
unattended ahead of time, then when it is convenient to babysit the box,
complete the update and reboot.  For point releases, be sure to read the release
notes - there may be special instructions like the need to update glibc\*
separately for 5.3.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com