[CentOS] yum update

Thu Aug 13 17:58:59 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
>
>> This is certainly not a complete procedure on how to configure things
>> so that upgrades don't break your cluster, but I believe the ideas
>> outlined above could lead you there if you set up a test environment
>> and experiment a little bit with it.
>
> Thanks.  It makes sense and is easy to implement.

Basically, if you edit any config file supplied by an RPM, subsequent
updates have to decide whether to keep your old file, possibly missing
any changes that the new version should have or replace it, probably
breaking whatever you changed.  In general, local settings are moved
into files under /etc/sysconfig that are merged with the stock config
files at runtime when possible.  Likewise, httpd configs can usually be
done in snippets in /etc/httpd/conf.d to avoid conflict with the main
file.  Clusters introduce a new problem if you have drbd syncing copies
of things that need to be different when one side is updated, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com