[CentOS] OT: Fortunate clueless dd chum - lvm recovery

Sat Aug 15 14:18:17 UTC 2009
Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

Lanny Marcus wrote:

>>  Maybe you could point him to this list for lunch time lesson reading,
>> however, you won't be able to talk about him behind his back anymore.
>>

> If your former employer is going to continue to employ him in that
> position, possibly he should be using webmin to do sys admin? That
> might prevent  some disaster(s).  Or, at least, he might get a warning
> from webmin, before he destroys something.

Not possible...he has to access a postgresql server via console to run
sql commands or fix up some other access. Likewise with vpopmail admin.
He has to add new disks and (sigh) move the vpopmail stuff at the very
least over to the filesystems. You guys can help him if he gets himself
on the list. Doing final data checking on the disks. I got the partition
layout wrong in the end but I have that sorted now. Got both md devices
back online and pvscan checked out during the rebuild of the md array
that is the basis for the pv so I guess things will be okay later too.
Just got a final fsck to run on the logvols and I am tossing this back
in his hands. (Bored yet?)

Things have not turned out as bad as I thought they might have. Ah well,
at least I know there is way to check lvm metadata now.

Link here just in case someone can point out any errors as I have not
quite have to opportunity to put the information to the test.
http://anthonydawson.thelasis.com/LVRecovery/index.htm