[CentOS] Interupted Internet Service

Sun Aug 16 16:53:29 UTC 2009
Bart Schaefer <barton.schaefer at gmail.com>

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Ed Warner<edwarner99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Everytime I see this in the logs my internet access stops for about 5 minutes. Nothing else follows in the logs. I have DSL. Any ideas?
>
> Aug 15 17:14:56 bonsai gconfd (root-6095): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 6095 user 'root'
> Aug 15 17:14:56 bonsai gconfd (root-6095): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
> Aug 15 17:14:56 bonsai gconfd (root-6095): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
> Aug 15 17:14:56 bonsai gconfd (root-6095): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2

You may get some additional clues if you can find out what is querying
gconfd.  What application are you using to manage your networking
configuration?  Do you have a DSL modem only, or a combination
modem/router?  Is your CentOS box plugged directly into the DSL
device, or are you using wireless or any additional router?

My suspicion would be that either (1) your DSL drops and the log
entries above are from the network management software when it
attempts to restore the connection, e.g. re-obtaining DHCP token; or
(2) the network software itself fails and restarts, which seems less
likely.  There are additional possibilities if there's a wifi
connection, etc.