[CentOS] Noob Question: Uninstalling Firefox rpm's

Mon Aug 17 13:57:56 UTC 2009
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>

Chuck wrote:

> Just curious, why are the 2 identically named packages? Is this just an
> oversight/bug on CentOS's part or does it serve some purpose?

As pointed out elsewhere, it is likely that you are on x86_64 and have
both i386 and x86_64 packages installed.  This may be a "misfeature" but
it is not attributable to CentOS, rather to Red Hat, and is the normal
behavior.  I like to define an rpm macro to work around it:

[root at poq1 ~]# cat ~/.rpmmacros
# Change default RPM query format to show ARCH
%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
[root at poq1 ~]# rpm -q firefox
firefox-3.0.12-1.el5.centos.x86_64
firefox-3.0.12-1.el5.centos.i386

Phil