[CentOS] replacing permissions on uploaded windows files

Wed Aug 19 21:32:19 UTC 2009
Dave <dave.mehler at gmail.com>

Hi,
	Thanks everyone for the responses. The issue has been solved.
Thanks.
Dave.

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Robert Nichols
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:21 PM
To: centos at centos.org
Subject: Re: [CentOS] replacing permissions on uploaded windows files

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> 	I've got a CentOS box and users are putting Windows long files on
it,
> files with " " and " - " in their filenames. I'm trying to adjust the
> permissions as well as user and group membership and i'd like the
> changes to be sticky. On the tld i've set permissions of 2755 and am
> trying to batch convert the files and subfolders in it. I've done this:
>
> find tld -type f |xargs chmod 644 {} \; find tld -type d |xargs chmod
> 755 {} \;
>
> 	Both of these are failing due to the spaces and dashes. I've tried
> enclosing those {} in quotes, no good. Has anyone done this with shell
> or perhaps perl?

You've got 'find' syntax and 'xargs' syntax hopelessly mingled.  Here:

     find tld -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644 --
     find tld -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755 --

The "-print0" and "-0" use the ASCII NUL character as the argument
delimiter, so any legal path can be passed without being mangled.
The "--" tells chmod that none of the following arguments that might begin
with '-' should be treated as options.

                 Do NOT delete it.