[CentOS] drbd xen question

Thu Aug 20 17:29:39 UTC 2009
Alan Sparks <asparks at doublesparks.net>

Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> This is my current setup:
>
> Xen DomU
> ============
> DRBD
> ============
> LVM Volume
> ============
> RAID 1
>

> What I first wanted to do was:
>
> DomU | DRBD
> ============
> LVM Volume
> ============
> RAID 1

If I understand you diagram, you have DRDB running inside your domU with
LVM on top of it now, and you are considering moving DRDB out of the
domU into your dom0.   Yes, it should work, and yes, you'll have to
change the domU config to map the drbd block device into the domU.  Am
hoping a vgscan on the domU will pick up the fact you will be
effectively changing the physical device names.  I think the arrangement
of doing DRDB and LVM at the dom0 level, and mapping LVs out of that as
domU disks is not an uncommon implementation.
-Alan