[CentOS] Dual Booting Question

Tue Aug 25 12:28:08 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

David McGuffey wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 20:00 -0700, Chaz Sliger wrote:
>>
>> I use Symantec’s Norton Partition Magic to carve up the disk, usually
>> into 3 partitions (NTFS for windows, FAT32 for moving files between
>> windows and linux, and a linux partition).
>>
>> You’ll need to copy the linux bootloader into the Master Boot Record
>> and then set it up so you can choose which OS to boot.
>>
>> -chaz
>>

> When it comes time to install Linux in dual-boot mode, I always use that
> opportunity to blow away Windoze and do a fresh install on a portion of
> the disk before letting Linux have the rest.  After a few months Windoze
> can get loaded up with a lot of junk and get slow and quirky.
>
> If for some reason you can't do that, then the Partition Magic route
> also works.  But...back up the Windoze data first.  PM is not always
> 100% fool-proof.

Now days, if the machine is fairly decent, I just install windows in a
Virtual Machine.

I like Sun's Virtual Box on CentOS to run my Windows Hosts ... others
use different things like VMWare.

You can get virtual box here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

The great thing about a VM is that you can use both the Windows machine
and the Linux machine at the same time.

The bad thing is that it can be slow if you do not have enough RAM or CPU.

I have a laptop with a Pentium M 2.2 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM and I
run a Windows XP VM with 512MB RAM on top if CentOS 5.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes