[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Fri Aug 28 11:16:42 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

RedShift wrote:
> Ryan Pugatch wrote:
>> Yes, I changed the variable in the spec and installed the RPM I built.
>> I am on a 64-bit machine but did not install a 32-bit RPM.
>>
>> Looks like there are two versions.. the original and mine.  What should
>> I do?
>>
>> Requested output:
>>
>> [rpug at localhost ~]$ rpm -qi freetype
>> Name        : freetype                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 2.2.1                             Vendor: CentOS
>> Release     : 21.el5_3                      Build Date: Fri 22 May 2009
>> 10:04:13 AM EDT
>> Install Date: Thu 27 Aug 2009 01:06:54 PM EDT      Build Host:
>> builder16.centos.org
>> Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
>> freetype-2.2.1-21.el5_3.src.rpm
>> Size        : 626801                           License: BSD/GPL dual license
>> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 22 May 2009 05:22:59 PM EDT, Key ID
>> a8a447dce8562897
>> URL         : http://www.freetype.org
>> Summary     : A free and portable font rendering engine
>> Description :
>> The FreeType engine is a free and portable font rendering
>> engine, developed to provide advanced font support for a variety of
>> platforms and environments. FreeType is a library which can open and
>> manages font files as well as efficiently load, hint and render
>> individual glyphs. FreeType is not a font server or a complete
>> text-rendering library.
>> Name        : freetype                     Relocations: (not relocatable)
>> Version     : 2.2.1                             Vendor: (none)
>> Release     : 20                            Build Date: Thu 27 Aug 2009
>> 04:24:21 PM EDT
>> Install Date: Thu 27 Aug 2009 04:25:44 PM EDT      Build Host:
>> localhost.localdomain
>> Group       : System Environment/Libraries   Source RPM:
>> freetype-2.2.1-20.src.rpm
>> Size        : 655297                           License: BSD/GPL dual license
>> Signature   : (none)
>> Packager    : Pugatch Ryan
>> URL         : http://www.freetype.org
>> Summary     : A free and portable font rendering engine
>> Description :
>> The FreeType engine is a free and portable font rendering
>> engine, developed to provide advanced font support for a variety of
>> platforms and environments. FreeType is a library which can open and
>> manages font files as well as efficiently load, hint and render
>> individual glyphs. FreeType is not a font server or a complete
>> text-rendering library.
>>

> Why do you have two freetypes installed? That shouldn't be possible. They should have conflicting files. Fix this first.

One is likely i386 and the other x86_64 ...

The first thing I do when I install an x86_64 machine is exclude
*.i[3456]86 in the yum.conf file.  (If I have to run i386 things, I
install an i386 machine ... but that is just me).  I then remove all
i[3,4,5,6] packages and only install update x86_64 packages.  I
understand that some people have to have x86_64 workstations for certain
things (cad/video editing, etc.) where they need > 8 GB RAM and the
things x86_64 can do there.  They also need some i386 packages (like
firefox) since x86_64 alternatives are not good or not available.  In
these cases, you need to keep as minimal a number if i386 packages on
your machine as you possibly can.  Again, this is my opinion ... others
might have a different one.

If you want to see the arch of all packages with rpm queries, create a
file called .rpmmacros in a users home dir and add this line:

%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Then when you do "rpm -q" queries, you will see things like this:

rpm -q freetype

freetype-2.1.9-8.el4.6.x86_64
freetype-2.1.9-8.el4.6.i386

(this was just an example from a c4 machine ... package versions not
relevant to this thread :D )