[CentOS] Need httpd / apache RPM > 2.2.3 for 5.3

Fri Aug 28 15:01:41 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Hmmmm, OK, I get it.
>
> I know I can build the latest Apache on CentOS, and what we currently
> do is put it into /usr/local - which I guess works.
>
> I'd really prefer to have an RPM though.
>
> Certainly the CentOS team as a way in which they produce this RPM.
> Is this method public?  And if so, is it easy to obtain, and run
> against the latest Apache source code to produce my own RPM?

You can do one of these:

1) Grab the *source* RPM from like FC10 (or whatever version of Fedora
Core has the httpd version you need).

2) Grab the source RPM for CentOS 5.3 and study the .spec file.  Make a
new .spec using the desired source tarball from the apache.org site.

In either case, make sure rpm-build is installed and all of the
necessary -devel packages and fire up rpmbuild and build your own RPMs.

There exist on the web various resources on what goes in a .spec file
and how to run rpmbuild and about building your own RPM files.  Google
is your friend.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933