[CentOS] using Linux as a NAS / SAN device

Fri Aug 28 17:36:23 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Something else I just realized, dedicated NAS devices can rebuild the
> RAID system on the fly, and offer online RAID migration and expansion,
> load balance, and failover - how would one do these with Linux?

Look at the mdadm tools for raid.  Rebuilding on the fly is no problem
if your hardware supports hot-swap.  Expanding is more complicated and
if you mange it, you then have to separately grow the filesystem into
the new space.  LVM might be more useful for migration/expansion.  If
you need mirroring/failover between two systems, look at DRBD and heartbeat.

I believe openfiler uses the native linux tools with a management
wrapper to integrate the steps - where nexentastor uses opensolaris/zfs
where the concepts are integrated directly.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com