[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Sat Aug 29 01:05:42 UTC 2009
Ryan Pugatch <rpug at tripadvisor.com>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> I never had jagged fonts with the standard xfce in extras and normal
>> CentOS using the liberation fonts and the standard freetype from centos.
>>  I was using the same fonts I used in Gnome.
>>
>> Maybe I am missing something, why did you need to rebuild freetype?
>>
>> Are you using the xfce from centos 5 extras?
>
> Here is a list of the relevant fonts I have installed:
>
> bitstream-vera-fonts-1.10-7
> liberation-fonts-1.0-1.el5
> libXfont-1.2.2-1.0.3.el5_1
> libXfontcache-1.0.2-3.1
> xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-base-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-misc-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-truetype-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-fonts-Type1-7.1-2.1.el5
> xorg-x11-font-utils-7.1-2
>
> After you make sure liberation-fonts and bitstream-vera-fonts are
> installed, try making "Bitstream Vera Sans" or "Liberation Sans" your
> application font.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

I installed from extras.  I rebuilt freetype to enable BCI.  I'm going
to reload the machine and then install your suggested fonts and MS core
fonts and see how it goes.  It's easier to start fresh now since I've
messed with so many things :)  Will follow up when I am done.

Thanks

Ryan