[CentOS] CentOS Mirrors and Adjacent country groups

Mon Aug 31 09:39:42 UTC 2009
J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL <J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL>

Hi

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
Behalf Of Lanny Marcus
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:41 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS Mirrors and Adjacent country groups

On 8/25/09, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> Am 26.08.2009 um 00:13 schrieb Lanny Marcus:
<snip>
>>> Don't you have peering-points somewhere?
>>> Sorry for hijacking this thread...
>> Rainer: I don't think your reply is OT or hijacking. Good point. I
>> suspect that in the EU, there is a lot of peering between countries,
>> but here in SA, I don't think so.
>
> I suspected that.
> To illustrate, this:
> http://www.caida.org/research/topology/as_core_network/pics/ascore-ipv
> 4-ipv6.200903_poster.pdf
> is the map I was looking for.

Cool. I downloaded that 4.3 MB file.   I suspect we could peer with
Panama. I believe like Colombia, they are also quite advanced with
regard to telecommunications, and it's close. The city I live in
(Cali) is actually much closer to Miami, Florida than Los Angeles,
California is.  And maybe we could peer with Peru, but that's a long way
to our South.

----

Afaik it is impossible to deduce from the URL if one node is located
nearby or far away.
Eventhough as i live in europe, i can register and use a japanese URL.

Secondly, i fond out that ISP do funny tricks with routing: My
connection to my next-door-neighbour goes via a transcient node in
New-York (high latency).

Only traceroute can give you a clue if a node is local or not.
And even then there is a question of available bandwith....

Hans