[CentOS] looking for RAID 1+0 setup instructions?

Mon Aug 31 16:28:08 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I'm installing Openfiler 2.3, which looks very very similar to the
> CentOS installer. My reason for RAID 1+0 (like I said it doesn't
> support RAID10) is for the higher level of redundancy & speed, and I
> would like to utilize the drives to their max,

Note that the 'speed' benefit of the raid0 layer only applies when you
are working with files large enough to need to span drive cylinders
_and_ have no concurrent operations that would rather have that other
drive's head somewhere else.

> I've setup the /boot on sda1 & sdc1 (100MB each) on RAID 1, and then
> configured sda2, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2 as 4GB swap each (no RAID), then the
> remainder on sda3, sdb3, sdc3 & sdd3 as 2x RAID 1 mirrors - i.e. sda3
> & sdc3 on /dev/md2 & sdb3 & sdd3 on /dev/md3.

And you probably really don't want to make the heads seek away from
where your applications want them to do operating system trivia like
logging all the time.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com