[CentOS] Split dns issues

Sun Aug 2 19:20:17 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009, Jason Pyeron wrote:
>We have internal DNS servers that will override the A record for selected hosts.
>Example mail.pdinc.us will have a different internal ip than external. This has
>always been a fine way to handle it as the zone files are for that specific
>host, and there have never been subdomains before.
>
>Now we want to just override the MX records for pdinc.us without having to merge
>or manage all the records for every entry/subdoamin in the zone file for
>pdinc.us.
>
>Any ideas/questions?

We have been doing this with djbdns for years.  The tinydns data files
permit suffixes (suffices?) based on the querying IP address to return
information specific to that IP range.  That is a request for
support at example.com from an ip in 192.168.0.0/16 may return the private LAN
address while one from the outside world the public IP, perhaps on a
different server.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

The difference between science and the fuzzy subjects is that science
requires reasoning while those other subjects merely require scholarship.
    -- Robert Heinlein