[CentOS] Yum - which repo did a package come from

Tue Aug 4 08:36:20 UTC 2009
Tony Mountifield <tony at softins.clara.co.uk>

In article <780192.16859.qm at web51101.mail.re2.yahoo.com>,
Linux Advocate <linuxhousedn at yahoo.com> wrote:
> guys,
>
> i have installed mailscanner, spamassassin, etc on my machine. This was done sometime ago.
> Some of these rpms i got not frm centos repos.
>
> What command ( or yum command )  can i  use to find out which repo did this installled
> package come from.
>
> yum info packagename just says;
>
> repo : installed
>
> i was hoping for something like repo:rpmforge or   something similiar. i have these 3 rpms
> which i cant remember where i got them from.
>

> dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5
> mailscanner-4.74.13-2
> spamassassin-3.2.5-1.el5

Yes, I have found this is a limitation of yum. It would be nice if the
information about the source repository could be stored somewhere.

If these were installed after the initial OS installation, and you haven't
done a yum clean, you might be able to glean some info from the cache:
# ls -l /var/cache/yum/*/packages

This won't give you any information about packages installed using rpm
directly instead of yum.

Cheers
Tony
--