[CentOS] Battery condition tools CentOS/Dell

Wed Aug 5 16:33:08 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Hello all:
>    Does anyone know of a tool/project that will allow me to read the
> battery condition (not the charge status) on a Dell laptop battery?
> Under XP there is a utility that warns that the battery is still
> holding a charge but that the battery is degraded and should be
> replaced.

If the laptop uses the (old!) APM interface, xapm will work.  If the
laptop uses the (newer, current) ACPI interface, I have written a little
utility that displays the battery state.  Visit
http://www.deepsoft.com/OddsAndEnds and scroll down to the section
titled 'TkBattery' for more information.  This program just
reads/monitors the files under /proc/acpi/ac_adapter/ and
/proc/acpi/battery/, which map to the state of the power cord (plugged
in or not) and the battery(ies) info and state files.  All of these
files are just text files that can be read by a program (or a simple
script).