[CentOS] Battery condition tools CentOS/Dell

Wed Aug 5 17:43:27 UTC 2009
cornel panceac <cpanceac at gmail.com>

2009/8/5 Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Blake Hudson<blake at ispn.net> wrote:
>

> > How old is your laptop?  This may be a case of expectations not meeting
> > reality. As the Wiki article linked previously mentions, LiION batteries
> > deteriorate over time and with use (as do all batteries). In my
> > experience, a typical laptop battery (treated well) will last 2 years
> > while maintaining the majority of its original capacity. After 5 years,
> > the battery run time is often inadequate to meet the needs of the owner.
> > When purchasing a laptop, I would have the expectation that the battery
> > will need replaced every 2-3 years - if the laptop is used, assume that
> > it needs a new battery.
>
> The laptop is about 18 months old, so the battery was nearing its end
> but I'd hoped for at least another 6 months of useful time (more than
> 10 minutes).  The battery is in worse condition than three identical
> batteries in the other 3 laptops purchased at the same time. The main
> difference is that this laptop is plugged in continuously while the
> others are mobile.

sorry if this was said already, but i didn't followed this thread. anyway,
rumours are, the main reason for batteries ending their life is heat. that
is why it is recommended, while the laptop is on AC, the battery shoud be
removed.