[CentOS] Execution from ip-up.local

Mon Aug 10 00:09:58 UTC 2009
Olaf Mueller <daily-planet at istari.de>

John R Pierce wrote:

> Ed Warner wrote:
>> I'm using Firestarter as my firewall. If I restart the network or my
>> DSL line goes down, I have to manually restart Firestarter.

>> Does anyone have a suggestion as how I could further troubleshoot
>> this problem?
Remove the original firestarter line from /etc/ppp/ip-up.local and add
the following line to /etc/ppp/ip-up.local:
/etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh start

And the following line to /etc/ppp/ip-down.local:
/etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh stop

Also disable firestarter as a service (chkconfig firestarter off) and
take a look in /etc/ppp/ip-up.local for broken code.
Is /etc/ppp/ip-up.local executable in a bash console?

> why aren't you starting your firewall from
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/firestarter, with symlinks in the usual
> /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/{K|S}##firestarter
Cause ip changes on every dial-in for internet connections without a
static ip.

> I've never -heard- of dinking with the ifup-***** scripts for any
> reason
This is an option in firestarter configuration since 2005. See for more
in firestarter Changelog:

2005-01-09  Tomas Junnonen  <tomas at fs-security.com>
        [...]
        * src/scriptwriter.c:
        - Set execute permissions on ip-up.local
        [...]

And in scriptwriter.c:

#define PPP_HOOK_FILE "/etc/ppp/ip-up.local"
const gchar* FIRESTARTER_HOOK = "sh "FIRESTARTER_CONTROL_SCRIPT"
start\n";

regards
Olaf