[CentOS] ASP Pages?

Mon Aug 10 15:37:04 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Warren Young wrote:
> ML wrote:
>> Is there any way I can host his site on my Linux Server? Without re-
>> writing it for him....
>
> There used to be a project called ChiliSoft ASP that did this, but it
> appears that Sun bought them and then killed the product.
>
> As John R. Pierce noted, if his site is actually using ASP.NET, and not
> the old original ASP, it may be that Mono could help you, as long as his
> code isn't digging too deeply into Windows specifics.
>
> If it does end up that you really need a rewrite, Apache::ASP runs fine
> on CentOS and uses the same sort of programming model:
>
> 	http://apache-asp.org/
>
> It's not moved forward in quite a while, and it uses Perl as its
> programming language instead of Visual Basic, but it's perhaps got the
> the lowest barrier to entry for your friend.

There is always brute force: you could run windows in a virtual machine
under VMware, virtualbox, etc.  It wastes some resources, requires an OS
license and attention to updates, but lets you run anything on the same
physical hardware without conversions.  If you need it to share an IP
address you can set up a reverse proxy within a named vhost
configuration - otherwise it can just look like a separate machine.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com