[CentOS] A bit more on the Firefox 3.5.issue

Mon Aug 10 22:36:55 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 8/10/09, Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I set up a CentOS desktop computer for my brother and his kids. When
> Firefox 3.5 came out he decided to download and install it like he
> would Windows (he doesn't yet understand the repository system). He's
> been telling me that it works fine, even though I was skeptical due to
> my experience with Firefox 3.5 on CentOS 5.3. Then today, he says,
> "Oh, by the way, the CentOS computer has been rebooting itself every
> now and then." What?! (This is where he is in Linux -- doesn't realize
> that it's not like Windows, that it's not supposed to reboot
> randomly.) "Does it do it when you're in Firefox?" "Yes."
>
> He's okay, though, just a matter of uninstalling his home root version
> of Firefox -- I've been updating his computer with yum, so he still
> has the newest *repository* release of Firefox also.
>
> At any rate, just to let everyone know, whatever the issue is with
> Firefox 3.5 and *some* CentOS 5.3 computers (an Xorg graphics card
> incompatibility issue?) -- it goes beyond the RPM package released by
> Michael Harris. As for myself, I'm just going to wait for the
> repository Firefox 3.5 upgrade.

Ron: My Desktop is dual boot. M$ WinXP Home and CentOS 5.3 (32 bit). I
rarely use M$ Windows, but yesterday I needed to use it, and I was
offered an Update for Mozilla Firefox. What was offered was not 3.5.
It was 3.0.13 as I recall. I updated to 3.0.13.  Like you, I will wait
until yum update finds Firefox 3.5.  And, on the Windows side, I will
wait until they offer it to me. Having the "latest and greatest" is
not always the best idea. My 2 Pesos....   Lanny