[CentOS] Dangerous Software Raid instructions on Wiki

Wed Aug 12 16:42:02 UTC 2009
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Alan Hodgson wrote:

> Let me be even more clear - if your successor doesn't know what dd does, or
> what drives correspond to /dev/sda and /dev/sdb in the box he's working on,
> he has no business being within 10 feet of a production server without
> careful supervision.

What physically corresponds to /dev/sda and /dev/sdb isn't necessarily
predictable these days.  For example you can initialize a single drive
as a volume with some common raid controllers, then swap that drive's
position in the drive bays or reverse a pair and each will still show as
the /dev/sd? device where it was initialized instead of what you'd
expect from the current location.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com