[CentOS] vnc - single application or a "remote localhost" on Firefox

Wed Aug 12 19:21:09 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Frank Cox wrote:
> The other approach would be to somehow do use some kind of ssh port-forwarding
> under Firefox so he could run Firefox locally on his own computer, and somehow
> access http://localhost/ledgersmb on the remote machine.  Is there such a thing
> as a "remote localhost" that would work like that?

port forward localhost:8080 (or some other arbitrary port) to remote:80
via ssh.. for instance, in putty's somewhat wretched connection
configuration dialog, go to connection->ssh->tunnels, leave 'local ports
accept connections from other hosts' and 'remote ports do same'
unchecked, enter the source port 8080, the destination localhost:80,
check 'local' and 'auto' under destination, and click 'Add', then save
this along with the rest of the session settings (host, user, tec) to a
named session.     make this connection, and point your local Windows
web browser to http://localhost:8080/legersmb.....

note, this will NOT work for SSL sessions (https://...)

another approach is NX, but I don't know much about this.   iit works
more like the X-forwarding thing but uses a more efficient protocol than
plain X.