[CentOS] OT: hardware newbie p9115-505

Thu Aug 13 08:04:14 UTC 2009
Tim Verhoeven <tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com>

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Fajar Priyanto<fajarpri at arinet.org> wrote:

> Sorry for the OT. I've posted it in some IBM related forums but no reply yet.
> We've got an IBM pSeries p9115-505 machine from warehouse.
> I notice that it doesn't have any port for the monitor.
> Where do we plug the monitor?
> >From Google it says something about HMC (Hardware Management Center).

Hi,

You have 2 options. Either you also get a HMC (which is a Intel
machine running some special Linux-based software), it manages the
hardware and allows you to see the console and do the install.

The second options is to use the serial port on the machine itself
(you will need a null-modem cable for this). Then using things like
minicom or hyperterminal you can access the console.

So no, you can't connect a keyboard or screen to it. It only has a
text-based console.

Regards,
Tim

P.S. Yes, I've worked for IBM in the past and yes I have 2 of these as
well at my current job.

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)