[CentOS] yum update

Fri Aug 14 04:22:09 UTC 2009
Meenoo Shivdasani <meenoo at gmail.com>

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:59 AM, madunix<madunix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can any one clarify this, is auto updating at all production servers
> recommended or not?
> need to know your opinion, how do you manage the update?

For a production server, I don't auto-update.  There are too many
variables involved that may negatively affect the server's functions.

When implementing updates, I prefer to plan ahead, test on a
non-critical server, create a change plan that includes a roll-back
plan, and then schedule an outage window that allows enough time to
revert to the original version if necessary.

If it's a minor update that should not in any way negatively affect a
production system, I might skip scheduling an outage window, but I'll
still have a roll-back plan.

This may be an overly cautious approach, but it's the one that I use
for production systems.

HTH,