[CentOS] OT: Strange message in root e-mail possiablly hacked!!! Not sure??

Mon Aug 17 11:49:41 UTC 2009
Lee Perez <leecajun at windstream.net>

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Lee Perez<leecajun at windstream.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> There is nothing on this server that I can not replace.  Did I just get
>> hacked?  Should I wipe this thing and start over?  Any and all advice is
>> greatly appreciated!!!
>>

> If you eventually decide to wipe it and start over, you might consider
> running IPCop Linux, a special distribution for Firewall/Router
> purposes. I use it at home and some on the list use it at work.
> The fewer services you run, the safer it will be. Samba as someone
> said, probably should not be run on a firewall. http://www.ipcop.org/
>  The version currently available has been around for awhile, but they
> have a new version in testing. I have IPCop running on an old box with
> a Pentium 233 MHz MMX chip and 64 MB of RAM and it's headless.    HTH

Thanks Lanny and everyone else.  Sorry for the late reply back.  Don't
want anyone to think that I do not appreciate the help. I work nights
and just got in.

I didn't know that IPCOP could run on one that old.  I have one like
that up in the attic, time to bring it back down.  Before I upgraded to
5.3, I was running 4.7 with FireStarter and did not have any troubles.
As soon as I get some sleep I will be looking in to setting it up.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Lee Perez