[CentOS] virt-manager crashes Host during installation of guest

Wed Aug 19 23:47:07 UTC 2009
Bernhard Gschaider <bgschaid_lists at ice-sf.at>

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer in this thread.

I'm just writing this message to give this thread some closure and am
not expecting any answers

    >> > This (and other replies) lead me to two possible culprits: >
    >> - either the graphical console over X11 is not a good idea (but
    >> I > can't imagine that, it shouldn't shoot the kernel) > - I
    >> always installed as a paravirtualized machine, Could it be that
    >> > the install-kernel on the 5.3-media is not aware of this and
    >> somehow > manages to shot the host (because I noticed that most
    >> recipies on > the > net, including
    >> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/ > InstallingCentOSDomU >
    >> never talk about paravirtualized (so I assume they use a fully
    >> > virtualized guest)
    >> >
    >> > I will try these later today (when people left the office and
    >> no one > will complain about server downtimes)
    >> >
    >> > Bernhard
    >> >
    >> > BTW: Just one fundamental question: as the upstream OS vendor
    >> is > switching his virtualization to KVM anyway, is it a good
    >> idea to > forget Xen and use KVM (in other words: is it stable
    >> enough for > production)?

    IM> Sorry for thread mucking. I did not receive this email, but
    IM> took it from a response.

    IM> The Xen wiki describes a paravirtual install. The config file
    IM> would have a line like builder="hvm" if it was fully
    IM> virtualised guest. AFAIK the graphical view is just a VNC
    IM> session, so I would be surprised if that managed to trash your
    IM> kernel. More likely it's something that the guest is doing
    IM> that is causing the issue. You could always prepare your
    IM> guests on a different machine and transfer them
    IM> later. Ofcourse, if you had a command of xm, that is.

I tried removing both suspects by

 - following the Wiki-Howto to the letter (especially using the
   Xen-install-kernels)
 - instead of going over the network I worked directly at the machine
   (although I totally agree that a VNC-session shouldn't be ble to shoot
   the machine)

but the problem is still there. When I start the configured machine
that points to an install-kernel with

xm create newGuest -c

I see the kernel boot up until it comes to the message

Write protecting the kernel read-only data

where it hangs for some seconds, then the screen goes blank and the
machine reboots.

I'm starting to suspect that it is somehow hardware-related (it is a
Fujitsu-Siemens Synergy server with a RAID-controller) and I will
investigate in that direction

    IM> As I said before, I would recommend the xen list for this
    IM> specific issue.

Will look there to, thanks

    IM> As for the Xen vs whatever issue, I was disappointed when it
    IM> became clear that Upstream was going to push another
    IM> technology, having spent last year or two trying to learn Xen
    IM> (and I am no expert, at all). Having said that, I've heard of
    IM> issues with speed with KVM and I haven't had any such issues
    IM> with Xen. My only issue with Xen is that the official releases
    IM> are based on quite an old kernel, which is fine for CentOS, bc
    IM> it is the same as the vanilla kernel. Anecdotally, a lot of
    IM> issues on the xen list IMHO seem to arise from ppl using later
    IM> patched kernels, which perhaps isn't the best route for
    IM> stability.

As I'm using the latest kernel that comes with the 5.3-updates and the
machine has nothing but the standard-5.3 stuff on it, I don't think
this is the case

Bernhard