[CentOS] centos 5.1 kickstart CD and intel 82576 driver

Fri Aug 21 03:40:18 UTC 2009
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

Well, first of all, thanks so much for the overwhelming response to my
post.

I got it working and here is what I did;

1 - Get the source from Intel and compile in the same env as the
kickstart OS. You will have an igb.ko file as a result.

2 - Mount the kickstart CD;
a - cd to were you want it.
b - gunzip < /media/CDROM/initrd.img | cpio -i --make-directories

3 - change to to the modules directory that was created in #2b above.
a - gunzip < modules.cgz | (cd were you want it && cpio -idv)
b - cp igb.ko were ever you wanted it from #a above/kernal-version/86x64

4 - change to the parent dir the of kernal-version and do;
a - find kernal-version | cpio -ov -H crc | gzip > path to were u want
it/modules.cgz

5 - modify the files in your modules dir from #2b above, Since 5.3 has
support for this Itel NIC, I had to reverse engineer from 5.3
initrd.img the files;
pci.ids
modules.alias

6 - go into the parent dir from #2b were the contents of initrd.img
were extracted and were you modifying the files in #3b and #4b;
a - (find . | cpio --quiet -c -o) > ../initrd.img

7 - copy the iniitrd to your original isolinux dir that the kickstart
Cd is based off of.

8 - change to that dir and do;
a - mkisofs -o ../whatevername.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-
emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table .

9 - use what ever burning sw to create a CD from iso.

Hope this helps any one in a similar bind.