[CentOS] Centos kernel problem

Sat Aug 22 11:04:48 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Hanmo wrote:
> My system is Centos 5.3.  and I want to study the kernel,  for
> example,  write myself kernel module.  So I download the kernel
> source  *.2.6.18.tar.bz2  and compile it in my system.   make bzImage
> && make && make modules && make modules_install && make install.
>      When reboot,  I find I can not mount the ntfs disk to the system
> and some other software have the problems.   Before compile the kernel
> source,  I have installed the kernel-module-ntfs-* ,  and when compile
> the *.tar.bz2 kernel source,  I added sata support with modue
> style.     I want to know if anything I do not do ?   when modify the
> kernel,  how to update all the software?     If I install the
> *.src.rpm  kernel,   is it difficult to start kernel with it?  Fox
> example,  if write myself module,  it needs to make rpm then can debug it?

to compile your own modules  in an RPM based distribution, you just need
the kernel-devel RPM installed, that has all the includes and such your
module should need.    if you wanted to build the complete .el5 kernel
from the .src.rpm, you would use rpmbuild, which would compile it
according to the.spec file and would generate your own kernel .rpm.
Typically when you do this, you modify the spec file and various
patchfiles so your custom built kernel has its own version number suffix