[CentOS] Music while you work - or not

Sun Aug 23 15:08:59 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Sunday 23 August 2009 15:48:50 Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Wanting to listen to magnatune.com while I worked, I discovered that
> > flash is not working.  It appears that I don't have libflashplayer, but
> > yum tells me that no such package is available.  I must need a different
> > repo, I think, but what?  Currently I have
> >
> > ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
> > adobe-linux-i386.repo          epel-testing.repo
> > CentOS-Base.repo               kbsingh-CentOS-Extras.repo
> > CentOS-Media.repo              mirrors-rpmforge
> > epel.repo 	               rpmforge.repo
> >
> > I suspect that c5-media repo is discontinued. I've seen no error messages
> > apart from 'No package libflashplayer available.'   In theory I have
> > installed the adobe flash-player, but apparently not.   I'm stuck.  Any
> > help, please?
>
> Well, I'll relate what I know. I checked out the website, selected
> 'Jazz', play hi-fi, and it worked. I didn't use the m3u feature.
>
> I checked Firefox's Add-ons; under Plugins, I have Shockwave Flash 10.0
> r22. Just to really check it out, I clicked 'Disable', and the music
> stopped.

I didn't have any suitable plugin.  I realised that, but google gave me the
wrong name of the package, which is why I failed.  Although it doesn't explain
why the adobe repo failed to install their flashplayer.

> [mykolas at sr1220 ~]$ ls /etc/yum.repos.d/
> adobe-linux-i386.repo  CentOS-Base.repo  CentOS-Media.repo
> mirrors-rpmforge  rpmforge.repo
>
> Also, I did the multimedia thing -
> <http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/MultimediaOnCentOS>

I hadn't seen that particular page.  I've bookmarked it for the future,
thanks.  This box normally just acts as a file/print/mail server - I don't
normally do desktop-type things on it.  It's been running CentOS for around 2
years and this is the first time I've tried to use it in this way.

Thanks for answering

Anne