[CentOS] Using Thunderbird as local mail reader

Mon Aug 24 01:14:56 UTC 2009
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 01:25:16PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> fred smith wrote:

> >> Just use mailx on a text console like Russ !
> >>

> > I actually use mutt. but sometimes when someone sends me an html email with a lot of
> > graphics attached it's convenient to use a client that can display it all, directly.
> > I've been using balsa, but it isn't being packaged for RHEL/Centos anymore, as far
> > as I can figure.
> >
> > I just built a new machine and installed 5.3, so I could use the same Balsa RPM I
> > used on the previous machine (also centos 5.3), which was provided to me back when
> > 5.0 came out by another kind reader of this list--whose name I no longer remember,
> > but I figured I'd see if some other mail reader that is supported on the platform
> > would work instead.
>
> The nicest approach is to have an imap server that you can access from all
> potential clients.  If you are stuck with a server that doesn't do imap you can
> set up fetchmail to pick it up and move it to a server that you control.  This
> is particularly handy if you have a phone that does email or you have multiple
> machines where you might want to read or download attachments.

Yeah. but,...

this is my own personal workstation, I have my own domain that uses the mail
server on my own workstation. the only other person who gets mail on it is my
wife, who uses a pop client from windows to read her mail.

So, yes, I could use tbird to access it via the pop/imap server, but I'd just
as soon not.

Guess I'll go dig out the centos rpm for balsa and install it again.

Thanks for the ideas, though.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us