[CentOS] Firewall and nfs mounts

Mon Aug 24 13:30:07 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Monday 24 August 2009 14:05:20 Barry Brimer wrote:
> > Which ports need to be open on a nfs mount server?  And does the client
> > need anything opening?
>
> <http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-3259>

Thanks for the link.  I used system-config-securitylevel to activate the
firewall.  Since I had selected NFS4 I had expected the shares to be visible.
When they weren't I tried opening 2049 to tcp and udp, but they were not
saved, so I'm inclined to think that the gui NFS4 option had already done
that.

etc/sysconfig/nfs does exist, with everything commented out.  The first
section asks me to decide whether mountd is to use NFS_V1,2,or 3.  In view of
NFS4 being in s-c-securitylevel, this is confusing.

The ports mentioned in the file are much lower than the ones in the link you
provided, by which I assume that they are intended to obscure the purpose.  Is
it wise to start by accepting the ports in the file  until everything works,
then try mapping in higher ports?

Anne