[CentOS] fasttest mirror -doesnt seem to pick sites near my region

Mon Aug 24 17:53:08 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Linux Advocate wrote:
>> John R Pierce wrote:
>>> fwiw, it appears "linux advocate" is sending his email from a Malaysia
>>> IP per the email headres...
>>>
>>> $ whois 60.50.xxx.yyy
>>> [Querying whois.apnic.net]
>>> [whois.apnic.net]
>>> % [whois.apnic.net node-2]
>>> % Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html
>>>
>>> inetnum:      60.48.0.0 -  60.54.255.255
>>> netname:      XDSLSTREAMYX
>>> descr:        Telekom Malaysia Berhad
>>> descr:        Network Strategy
>>> descr:        Wisma Telekom
>>> descr:        Jalan Pantai Baru
>>> descr:        50672 Kuala Lumpur
>>> country:      MY
>>>
>> For the record on this one, it seems that our version of the geoip
>> database does not do a proper lookup for IP addresses in the 60.50.50.50
>> (as an example IP of that range).
>>
>> What I get is unknown (with our current version).  When unknown, it
>> passes a list of high bandwidth machines.
>>
>> I will get and build a newer version of the GeoIP database and see if I
>> can get a better result.
>>

> johny, are u the maintainer for the geo-ip database?

I maintain the RPM that is used as part of CentOS Extras and that we use
on the CentOS servers in question.

I did some major work on the app that CentOS uses for mirrorlists and
isolists over the weekend.  Especially in the AP region, as we have
picked up some mirrors there recently.

Here is a thread that shows the relationship logic of the app:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-August/081033.html

If people who think the lists need to change will tell me the good and
bad servers for their country, I can change the logic.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes