[CentOS] Dual Booting Question

Tue Aug 25 02:29:31 UTC 2009
David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 20:00 -0700, Chaz Sliger wrote:

> I use Symantec’s Norton Partition Magic to carve up the disk, usually
> into 3 partitions (NTFS for windows, FAT32 for moving files between
> windows and linux, and a linux partition).
>
> You’ll need to copy the linux bootloader into the Master Boot Record
> and then set it up so you can choose which OS to boot.
>
> -chaz

When it comes time to install Linux in dual-boot mode, I always use that
opportunity to blow away Windoze and do a fresh install on a portion of
the disk before letting Linux have the rest.  After a few months Windoze
can get loaded up with a lot of junk and get slow and quirky.

If for some reason you can't do that, then the Partition Magic route
also works.  But...back up the Windoze data first.  PM is not always
100% fool-proof.

Dave M