[CentOS] CentOS Mirrors and Adjacent country groups

Tue Aug 25 22:13:04 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 8/25/09, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> Am 25.08.2009 um 23:16 schrieb Lanny Marcus:
>>
>> Hi Johnny and thank you for asking for feedback. I am in Cali,
>> Colombia, South America.
>> Our route to Brazil, for one of many examples, would be via Miami/Ft.
>> Lauderdale, Florida, USA.  So, for us, in Colombia, it is much better
>> to have a Mirror site in South Florida or the S.E. USA, if possible;
>> since I do not believe there is one in Colombia. The fact that
>> Colombia is adjacent to Panama, Brazil, Venezuela, etc., would make a
>> Mirror in one of those countries faster, *if* we had a direct route on
>> the Internet to them, but, we don't.  I suspect for most countries in
>> Latin America, this would be the same, since Latin America is so
>> strongly connected to Miami, "the capital" of Latin America.  Lanny
>
> Though off-topic, I find this interesting.
> Don't you in South America have some sort of high-speed network
> connecting the various universities there?
>
> Don't you have peering-points somewhere?
>
> Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Rainer: I don't think your reply is OT or hijacking. Good point. I
suspect that in the EU, there is a lot of peering between countries,
but here in SA, I don't think so. For one example, in our most
advanced neighboring country, Brazil, they speak a different language.
And, with 2 other neighboring countries (Venezuela and Ecuador) we
have very serious political problems, because of the friendship
Colombia has with the USA, the assistance those 2 countries give to
Colombian guerrilla groups,  etc.  OK, now this is getting political,
so it's getting way OT.     :-)      Lanny