[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Fri Aug 28 08:51:35 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

RedShift wrote:
> Ryan Pugatch wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I can't seem to get my fonts to look decent under CentOS.  I was able to
>> make them look pretty good under Ubuntu, but for the life of me I can't
>> make them look decent on CentOS.
>>
>> Screenshots:
>> http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8563/ss1rzo.jpg
>> http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7655/ss2ocf.jpg
>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6040/ss3j.jpg
>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/466/uiprefs.jpg
>>

>> Any advice is appreciated because this sucks :)
>>
>> Ryan
>
> Get the freetype source RPM and recompile it with the bytecode interpreter enabled.

I have never had to recompile a freetype RPM to have decent fonts.  I
am not sure this is a good idea for normal users.

If you are going to do this for x86_64 you will also likely need the
i386 one too.

But again, I have never heard anyone needing to do this for normal fonts.