[CentOS] Help Slim Down Centos Install

Fri Aug 28 10:14:02 UTC 2009
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Chris Andrews <khris4 at gmail.com>
> I was wondering does anyone know how I can slim down Centos install,
> what I mean by slim down is whenever I install Centos with nothing but
> xen. I have all type stuff that is not needed like bluetooth and etc.
> This is a server, so I know that bluetooth is not need but I don't have
> any other menus to remove software when install from cd. So what would
> be the best way to slim this server down to only need the bare to run
> xen?

I think you will have to use a kickstart file..

  http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-howuse.html

See the 'services' and '%packages' sections of the file...
Example:

  services --enabled=acpid,anacron,auditd,cpuspeed,crond,gpm,haldaemon,irqbalance,
kudzu,lm_sensors,messagebus,microcode_ctl,netfs,network,ntpd,portmap,readahead_e
arly,sendmail,smartd,sshd,syslog,sysstat,xinetd --disabled=cups,apmd,atd,autofs,
avahi-daemon,bluetooth,firstboot,hidd,ip6tables,isdn,mcstrans,pcscd,restorecond,
xfs,yum-updatesd

And:

  %packages
  @base