[CentOS] Need httpd / apache RPM > 2.2.3 for 5.3

Sat Aug 29 20:25:21 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Robert Heller<heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

>> OK, here is the interesting part :-)
>>
>> I'm new here as of about 4 months ago, and I just asked some coworkers
>> why we went with 2.2.10 instead of the 2.2.3 that comes with CentOS
>>
>> Apparently at the time we'd been having some problems with mod_perl
>> crashing (and still are in fact - I'm working on it slowly but
>> surely), and we'd hired an outside consulting company to help out with
>> it.  Their first comment was that 2.2.3 was "extremely buggy" and that
>> we should definitely not go with it.  So that's what we did.  The
>> newest release at the time was 2.2.10 and that's where we are.
>>
>> There was also so speculation that our DB2 client did not work so well
>> with 2.2.3
>>
>> Can someone answer me this - I see that today we have 2.2.3 patch
>> level 22 as our most recent release.
>>
>> Is there a document that will tell me what patch levels were shipped
>> with the different releases of CentOS?  In particular 5.2?
>
> rpm -q --changelog httpd
>

>> Maybe I don't really need > 2.2.3, I dunno.  I've seen some other
>> evidence that this outside contracting company did not seem to know as
>> much as they let on.  For starters, they did not get very far with our
>> mod_perl problem.  I got a lot further in about a week of googling,
>> and I came into it with no knowledge of mod_perl, and no debug-level
>> knowledge of Apache (albeit 7 or 8 years of apache config experience)
>
> Hmmm... It sounds like you were scamed on some level...

Yes. There are consultants who can walk on water and there are others
who bill the same hourly rate (or more) and don't have a clue.

Something previous posters haven't mentioned is the rule here is  "if
you break it, you fix it".  If you want support here, stay with what
the distro developers recommend. You will get outstanding support
here, for packages in the distro. The goals of an enterprise distro
are security, stability and long life.