[CentOS] CentOS Mirrors and Adjacent country groups

Mon Aug 31 11:54:14 UTC 2009
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

J.Witvliet at MINDEF.NL schrieb:

> Afaik it is impossible to deduce from the URL if one node is located
> nearby or far away.

Yeah. That was really just an illustration.

> Eventhough as i live in europe, i can register and use a japanese URL.
>
> Secondly, i fond out that ISP do funny tricks with routing: My
> connection to my next-door-neighbour goes via a transcient node in
> New-York (high latency).
>

> Only traceroute can give you a clue if a node is local or not.

Yes, that and may some BPG looking-glass.
I'm not a routing expert, but AFAIK, you do peering mostly at
peering-locations ("meeting-rooms", internet-exchanges).
At least, that's what we do here in Europe. You have a fast leased line
to such a peering-location and then you can "peer" with everybody you
like and have a low hop-count to that ISP.

> And even then there is a question of available bandwith....

Well, peering should improve bandwidth and latency. Because local
bandwidth should be cheaper to get than international bandwidth.

Rainer