[CentOS] Startup script issues

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:42:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Robert Bielik <robert.bielik at xponaut.se> wrote:
> Brian Mathis skrev:
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Robert Bielik <robert.bielik at xponaut.se> wrote:
>>> I'm converting Ubuntu startup scripts to work on CentOS (5.3), and I'm having trouble finding out how
>>> to start a daemon in a certain directory? For Ubuntu, start-stop-daemon has the option -d to set the
>>> working directory.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> /Rob
>>
>> You could "cd" there in the script before starting it.
>
> Wouldn't that just involve the session which starts the daemon, but not the daemon session itself? Or does
> "daemon" startup the child session within the same working directory ?
>
> /Rob

It's helpful to understand that any child process started by a parent
process always inherits the environment of the parent.  The cwd
(current working directory) is part of that environment.  Any other
environment variables that are exported, such as PATH, etc.. are also
part of that environment.

So yes, the daemon process will start in the same directory that the
script is currently in, and assuming the daemon does not 'cd' by
itself, it should continue to run with that directory as the cwd.