[CentOS] Tomcat authentication via PAM (or other system methods)?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Dec 2 19:24:04 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Is there a way to coax java services running under tomcat to use the
> system authentication methods set up through PAM? In my case, this would
> be users in the local passwd file or through smb to a windows domain.
> I've added mod_auth_pam to get this effect with apache but would like to
> also handle java web services.

If you use LDAP you can use LDAP with PAM and apparently configure
Tomcat to talk to LDAP as well

"Using Tomcat6 (Tomcat 6.0.13 to be precise ;)) on CentOS 4.5, a LDAP
authentication can be set up using the JNDI Realm."[..]

Same for if your using a SQL DB for authentication, tomcat can
tie into that too -