[CentOS] Skype version for CentOS 5.3

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Dec 2 23:24:39 UTC 2009

Andrew a écrit :
> Which is the best version of skype to install in CentOS 5.3? skype.i586
> from the skype repo or skype from
> the 'skype for linux beta' downloads section of the skype website?

I'm using the static version, which works fine. I have an install script
for it, see below. Download the tarball and put it in /tmp, then run the
script as root. Only thing you'll miss is a correct .desktop file, which
comes from another script here.

Niki Kovacs

# install-skype.sh

set -x

# Clean up old Skype install
rm -rf /usr/share/skype
rm -f /usr/bin/skype
rm -f /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop
rm -f /etc/dbus-1/system.d/skype.conf

cd /tmp

rm -rf skype_static-$VERSION

if [ ! -f skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2 ]; then
         wget -c

tar xvjf skype_static-$VERSION.tar.bz2
cd skype_static-$VERSION

mkdir /usr/share/skype
mv avatars/ icons/ lang/ sounds/ /usr/share/skype/
mv skype /usr/bin/
mv skype.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
touch /usr/share/applications/skype.desktop

cd ../
rm -rf skype_static-$VERSION